Palo Verde College is a publicly supported 2-year college located in the beautiful Southeastern California desert. Yearly enrollment is approximately 7,000 students (full and part-time).
NATURE OF THE POSITION
The instructor will teach classes within the approved discipline(s). In addition, the instructor shall be responsible for creating, maintaining and updating curricula relevant to the assigned instructional area. Further, the instructor will participate in all appropriate faculty functions, including non-teaching assignments, office hours, and committee meetings. This position may require day, evening, weekend, correspondence and on-line assignments.
Examples of Duties
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides instruction in all areas of the assigned discipline(s).
Develops college curricula and associated course materials.
Prepares, evaluates, and revises course outlines and syllabi.
Participates producing, assessing, and evaluating student learning outcomes.
Participates in student recruitment activities.
Maintains organized sets of course and student records.
Serves on appropriate college and faculty committees.
Maintains campus office and duty hours, submits grades and reports on or before deadlines, attends faculty meetings, and participates in student activities.
Performs other duties associated with full-time employment.
The instructor shall meet the minimum qualifications required for the discipline, consisting of a Master's degree in any biological science OR Bachelor's in any biological sciences AND Master's in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science OR the equivalent.
Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
PLEASE NOTE: Generally, a Master's degree is a minimum requirement for academic areas of instruction. Equivalencies may be granted upon application and examination by the Academic Senate.
Teaching experience, preferably at the community college level.
A firm commitment to the needs of students with diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and levels of ability with multi-cultural teaching experience.
Additional academic preparation enabling instructor to teach in an additional discipline.
Palo Verde College is located in the City of Blythe at one of the busiest entrance points to California. The college is located in a desert oasis adjacent to the beautiful Colorado River and the Palo Verde Valley. Blythe, and the fertile Palo Verde Valley, is primarily a farming and ranching area. Boating, fishing and hunting attract many tourists. The Palo Verde Valley is centrally located between Phoenix and Los Angeles, Las Vegas and the Mexican border. The valley's great climate, with more than 350 days of sunshine and mild winters, attracts thousands of winter visitors every year.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment are typical of an instructional job in a classroom and office environment.
The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, as listed above, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
CLASSIFICATION & SALARY
Full-time, tenure track academic position. (177-day academic year).
Placement on the academic salary schedule will be determined by education and experience.
The college offers an attractive package of fringe benefits including medical, prescription, dental, vision and life insurance.
Our employment online application process is designed to assist the search committee in evaluating whether or not you possess the required knowledge and skills for the position for which you are applying. Job-related information from all applicants will be evaluated to identify those best qualified. Only the best-qualified applicants will be selected for testing and further consideration. Therefore, the online application must be completed to allow a comprehensive review and evaluation. Failure to complete the online application (and supplemental material, when required) will constitute failure to comply with the selection process and the application will be rejected.
1. To guarantee consideration, a completed application and any other required material listed, must be submitted with the online application by the published closing date.
2. Applications are only accepted for positions currently open for recruitment.
3. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee you an interview.
4. Current employees who are applying for a position should be aware that material from their personnel files will not be included as part of the application packet, and they should provide information on past and present employment in the same degree of detail as any other candidate.
5. Applicants wishing to apply for more than one position must submit a separate application and required materials for each position.
6. Legible photocopies of documents will only be accepted.
7. Travel costs related to the interview process will be borne solely by the candidate.
8. Please read the job announcement/description carefully to ensure your background and education meet the requirements of the position
9. The selection process may also include practical exercise (i.e., training demonstration and/or other written, technical manipulative, or simulation exercises),or skilled testing to evaluate candidates' qualifications.
Copy of Transcripts (Must show all work completed and the conferral date of the degree. If hired original transcripts must be submitted)
Six References (3 Professional and 3 Personal)
Professional Licenses (If applicable)
*First day of Employment to start August 8, 2019*