Position TitleFaculty Full Time - Mathematics, Emphasis: Statistics
Union/Non UnionNon Union
Full Time or Part TimeFull Time
Hiring Salary RangeSalary commensurate with experience
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)Tenure Track
Regular or TemporaryRegular
Job Description Summary
Prince George’s Community College invites applications for a full-time faculty position in mathematics, beginning August 2019. Position will primarily involve teaching classes in mathematics and advising students. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to high-quality undergraduate education.
- A Master’s Degree in a mathematics or a math related discipline with at least 18 graduate credits of math.
- One year full-time, or equivalent part-time teaching experience at the high school or college level in mathematics, or pertinent professional experience relevant to the teaching area.
The following criteria will be used to review the applications of those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and to select those who will be invited for an interview. Candidates for teaching positions who are invited for an interview will be asked to demonstrate their teaching effectiveness in a simulated classroom, the conditions of which will be determined in advance and shared with all candidates prior to the interview. In addition to the criteria listed below, other information gained from and observations made during the interview process, including the review committee’s assessment of a simulated teaching performance, may be considered in selecting candidates to be recommended for appointment.
- Teaching experience relevant to anticipated teaching assignments.
- Non-teaching professional experience to anticipated teaching assignments, e.g. curriculum development, Open Education Resources (OER), and outcomes assessment.
- Currency in professional discipline through continuing education, professional development and/or scholarly activity, including familiarity with NCTM and AMATYC Professional and Curriculum Standards.
- Experience teaching all levels of mathematics (developmental math through calculus) effectively, with preference given to teaching expertise in the statistics pathway.
- Experience in the use of graphing calculators, computer applications, the internet, and other pertinent multimedia in teaching mathematics in face-to-face, online, and hybrid delivery formats.
- Experience in motivating and teaching students with diverse ethnic backgrounds, cultures, preparation, learning styles, and disabilities.
- Degree from an accredited institution.
- Unofficial transcripts must accompany application for teaching positions. Before an applicant can be recommended for hire, he/she must have an unofficial transcript on file with the college. Official transcripts of academic work required upon an offer of employment.
- Letters of reference must be job related and dated within the past three years.
- Documentation of experience and performance required.
- Ability to teach days, evenings, weekends and/or online.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written standard English.
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a cover letter of interest, a detailed resume/cv listing qualifications, and experience. Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience, with specific reference to each of the minimum qualification and criteria listed because this is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based.
Candidates for teaching positions who are invited for an interview will be asked to do a teaching demonstration.
Background screening may be required.