Job Posting TitleDental Hygiene Assistant Professor
LocationLos Rios Community College District (Sacramento City College)
Department LocationScience and Allied Heath
Founded in 1916, Sacramento City College (SCC) is a multi-campus, urban college that consists of a 70-acre main campus across from William Land Park. The college has two educational centers, one in Davis on the campus of the University of California, Davis, and one in West Sacramento located adjacent to the public library, community center and civic center. SCC is a vibrant teaching and learning institution with approximately 20,000 day and evening students and is recognized as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI).
SCC has a rich history in the community and has expanded educational opportunities to students across the region. SCC awards Associate in Arts or Science degrees as well as Associate Degrees for Transfer, which guarantee transfer into the California State University system. The college offers Career Education certificates and degrees, transfer credit for students who desire to continue their education at a four-year college or university, and instruction in basic skills such as English, English as a second language, and mathematics.
Faculty and staff at SCC value a collaborative and diverse campus community. As one of four colleges within the Los Rios Community College District, Sacramento City College embraces change, values excellence in academic achievement and supports the success of students as they pursue their dreams.
The faculty member shall be responsible for the following: teaching assigned classes under the supervision of the area dean; helping students fulfill their maximum potential in mastering course content; assessing student learning outcomes; maintaining a thorough and up-to-date knowledge in their regular teaching field; continuing professional development; utilizing current technology in the performance of job duties; maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position; assisting with articulation and curriculum development and review; serving on college committees and participating in faculty governance including accreditation and student co-curricular activities; assuming other responsibilities as assigned by the area dean; fulfilling other duties and responsibilities of a full-time faculty member as outlined in the college faculty handbook.
Position Salary Information:
Initial maximum salary placement is based on academic degree, upper/graduate level units earned, and/or related professional occupational experience per the Los Rios College Federation of Teachers (LRCFT) contract Article 2 (The initial maximum placement is Class V, Step 8).
The primary teaching assignment will include theory and clinical instruction of dental hygiene students, with the goal of helping students fulfill mastery of entry-level competencies. Initial teaching assignments will include first-year and second-year dental hygiene clinics.
The instructor may also be assigned to Dental Assisting courses, such as dental radiology or coronal polishing.
The instructional assignment may include, but is not limited to, teaching courses in all levels of dental hygiene offered at the college in:
● Dental Anatomy
● Introduction to Dental Hygiene
● Oral Pathology
● Local Anesthesia
● Nitrous Oxide
● Conducting dental screenings on patients being treated at the Sacramento City College Dental Clinic.
Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Providing direct* supervision in the procedures:
(1) Soft-tissue curettage
(2) Administration of local anesthesia
(3) Administration of nitrous-oxide and oxygen, whether administered alone or in combination with each other
*Direct supervision pertains to the supervision of dental procedures based on instructions given by a licensed dentist who is required to be physically present in the treatment facility during the performance of those procedures.
The instructional assignment may include day, evening, online, hybrid, weekend, and/or off campus classes.
Work Year164 days
1. Have a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution, completed by August 22, 2020, AND two years of occupational and/or professional experience directly related to the assignment; OR, hold a California Community College Instructor’s Credential in the discipline area; OR, the equivalent.*
2. Be a graduate from an ADA accredited dental or dental hygiene school.
3. Hold a valid license to practice dentistry in the State of California.
4. Have current clinical experience as a dentist or dental hygienist.
5. Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
● Applicants applying under the “equivalent” provision must attach details and explain how their academic preparation and/or professional experience is the equivalent of the degrees listed above.
● If your degree title differs from the minimum qualifications listed above, you are requested to submit this equivalency statement.
Applicants applying to this position are REQUIRED to complete fully and submit:
1. Los Rios Community College District Faculty Application
2. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (indicating completed or conferred date)
3. Resume or Curriculum Vitae
4. Two letters of recommendation (if using Interfolio, please send attachments to HR@losrios.edu)
5. Letter of Interest
6. Certified copy of a current and valid license as a Registered Dental Hygienist or Dentist licensed in the State of California.
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as unofficial transcripts.
● Los Rios employees are also required to submit unofficial copies of transcripts.
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators.
Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Salary$43,495 - $80,125 annually. Additional earnings may be available for summer, overload, and stipends. LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary InformationEntering annual salary within a given range varies, depending upon units/degrees completed at accredited colleges/universities and experience. Candidates not holding a master's degree may start at a salary lower than posted above.
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
Full-Time, Tenure-Track Position
Beginning on or about August 20, 2020.
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Contingent on funding and eligibility, successful candidates selected for an interview may be eligible to apply for partial reimbursement of travel expenses, up to a maximum of $450. Candidate Travel Reimbursement click here