Job TitleAdjunct Instructor, Hospitality Retail Management
DepartmentBusiness and Entrepreneurship
Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Retail Management, Hotel Administration/Management or Business Administration/Management with an Emphasis in Hotel & Lodging
Master’s degree within one of the above-mentioned areas is preferred.
Certifications within the Hospitality Retail Management field are also preferred i.e. Certifications through The American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI).
At least three years of relevant work experience in a Hotel & Lodging or Hospitality related area, in addition to three years of teaching experience in a post-secondary setting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Excellent understanding of the recent and future trends in the Hospitality Retail Management profession with a particular interest in hotel & lodging, purchasing event planning
• Ability to utilize community resources and support in the Hospitality Retail Management field;
• Knowledge and understanding of the concepts of Hospitality Retail Management and be able to execute this knowledge to students with various learning styles;
• Have a familiarity of the variety of software and other tools utilized in the Hospitality Retail Management field with a particular interest in the hotel & lodging Industry, purchasing and event planning;
• Knowledge and understanding of the educational needs of the Durham Technical Community College service area;
• Ability to establish, maintain, and promote effective communication and interpersonal relations across departmental lines, with associates, as well as with the business community, the higher education community, and the general public;
• Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to the needs and expectations of students, faculty, staff and advisory or community groups;
• Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college;
• Knowledge and understanding of the commitment to the mission and philosophy of the North Carolina Community College System;
• Demonstrated competence in oral, written, and computer skills appropriate;
• Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and effective oral and written communication/public relations skills;
• Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills;
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines;
• Ability to think creatively and put ideas into action;
• Ability to make presentations to large audiences; and,
• Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
The Adjunct Instructor, Hospitality Retail Management is responsible for teaching courses in the Hospitality Retail
Management program and working with the Director to meet the needs of the department and its students. More specifically, and consistent with the terms and conditions of appointment as stipulated in the contract of employment.
1. General Operations:
• Teach Hospitality Retail Management courses as determined by the terms of the employment contract, the director’s semester staffing plans, program-specific needs, the general needs of the college, and the current teaching load guidelines;
• Provide quality instruction at all times, teaching classes for the entire class period, and properly covering course materials and competencies as specified in course outlines. Additional duties include:
o Preparing objectives, assignments, grading standards, attendance policies and course syllabi to be distributed at first class meeting.
o Providing supervisor with syllabi, objectives and course outlines for each class.
o Being well prepared for each class.
o Keeping accurate attendance and grade records.
o Turning in reports, final grades, and other forms on time.
o Using various and innovative teaching techniques where applicable.
o Returning homework assignments and exams on a timely basis.
o Revising course content and objectives as required.
o Making suggestions to supervisor regarding textbooks, software, instructional materials, supplies and/or equipment needs.
• Maintain professional awareness and currency of important Hospitality Retail Management issues, incorporating them into instruction in a manner consistent with course outlines and the plan of study.
• Use various instructional, computer, and distance learning technologies (e.g., Sakai) to provide contemporary presentation of course material where appropriate.
• Teach assigned courses with special attention to the college’s mission, its commitment to the open door philosophy, and student success.
2. Program Responsibilities
• Implement and enforce, when appropriate, college academic policies and procedures together with administrative rules and regulations and other controls intended to maintain order and the highest standards of instruction.
• Maintain and process all office records, grade and enrollment reports, forms, and other paperwork in a timely and efficient manner, checking for the correctness and accuracy of all data.
• Develop courses and syllabi as requested.
3. Instructional Management and Supervision:
• Utilize effective instructional technology to deliver curricular content in non-traditional formats and to supplement the delivery of content through traditional means.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time;
• Ability to lift at times 10-30 lbs.;
• Good eye/hand dexterity;
• Work requires fingering, grasping, and repetitive keyboarding motions;
• Vocal communications is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
• Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels;
• Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; and,
• Infrequent travel between buildings on campus.
Required Working HoursPublished meeting times, preparation, and grading for contracted course(s).
Job TypeAdjunct Faculty