Apply now Job no:506267
Work type:Post Doc (Amherst Only)
Department: Mech & Industrial Engineering
Union: Post Doc
Categories:Postdoctoral Research Associate
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will work under the direction of Professor Meghan Huber and Professor Hoogkamer at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. The position is in support of Human Robot Systems Laboratory (MIE) and the Integrative Locomotion Lab (Kinesiology).
- Develop a program of research that makes significant advances in robot-aided rehabilitation engineering.
- Design and build novel, robotic systems to assist with locomotor rehabilitation.
- Work closely with collaborators in Kinesiology and Biomedical Engineering.
- Supervise research activities within the lab including meeting with graduate and undergraduate students to assist them in designing their experiments, analyzing their data, and presenting their results.
- When and if opportunities come up to respond to funding opportunity announcements, requests for proposals, or other possibilities for funding related to robotics and rehabilitation engineering, write and submit research proposals responding to those requests.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
A Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, materials engineering, manufacturing or related engineering field is required. Experience in mechatronics and rehabilitation engineering is preferred.
Monday – Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Special Instructions to Applicants
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials for priority consideration by November 1, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
- A cover letter that includes a statement of research experience and interests,
- A curriculum vitae,
- PDF copies of a recent publication or writing sample,
- Contact information of three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.