College of Science
COS Center for Imaging Science
Detailed Job Description
The Advanced Optical Fabrication, Instrumentation, and Metrology Laboratory 9AOFIM) in the Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), is soliciting applications for a one year post-doctoral research position in optics, lasers, or application of ultrafast lasers to advanced manufacturing. During the course of this work, the successful applicant will have the opportunity to work with our collaborators in academics and industries.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Perform theoretical and experimental research in one or a combination of the following: ultrafast laser based material processing: laser-based 3D writing, welding, surface texturing, imaging, and optical metrology.
- Perform independent scientific investigations in assigned research area.
- Write and submit research papers to reputable scientific journals.
- Present original research results at conferences.
- Install, operate and maintain advanced laser systems.
- Assist in PhD student supervision.
- The person will work in a research lab that does not involve labor oriented physical activities
Required Minimum Qualifications
- PhD in Optics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Material Science, or in relevant fields.
- General optics and lasers laboratory experience.
- Effective writing skills for publication of articles in scientific journals.
- Strong publication record.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with other researchers and students.
- Effective communication skills.
- Strong optical engineering background.
- Ability to program in Matlab, C++, or an equivalent language. Ability to perform optical modeling using any of the software packages (ZEMAX/OSLO/CODE V/ FRED/COMSOL/UPPE) is a plus.
Required Minimum Education Level
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume, List of References, Research Statement
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff . Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources.RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities.RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to your application for employment at RIT, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to Careers@rit.edu.