About Alabama A&M University :
Alabama A&M University (AAMU), an 1890 Land-Grant institution located in the high-tech center of Huntsville in northern Alabama, invites applications for the positions listed below. Situated in the northeast quadrant of the city of 200,000, the hillside campus is just four miles away from downtown Huntsville. AAMU offers its 6,100-student population a wide range of course offerings under the College of Agriculture, Life and Natural Sciences; College of Business and Public Affairs; College of Education, Humanities and Behavioral Sciences and College of Engineering, Technology and Physical Science. The School of Graduate Studies serves about 1,400 and offers doctoral degree programs in Applied Physics, Food Science, Plant/Soil Science and Reading/Literacy.
The Environmental Soil Physics Laboratory in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences at Alabama A&M University is seeking a postdoctoral research associate with expertise in the areas of soil physics, soil hydrology, and soil mechanics to support a currently funded project. The postdoc fellow will join a team that aims to provide enhanced capabilities for soils using biopolymers and bio-based materials. Project efforts will be focused on developing an understanding of the effects of biopolymers on soil physical properties and processes over a wide range of soil and environmental conditions.
Specifically, we seek scientists with knowledge, experience, or interest in the following areas: design, operation, and data analysis of laboratory and field experiments to measure the effects of biopolymers on soil physical, mechanical, hydraulic, and thermal properties. In addition, we seek scientists with experience or interest in modeling of soil physical, mechanical, hydraulic, and thermal properties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, operation, and data-analysis of laboratory and field experiments to evaluate the effects of biopolymers on soil physical, mechanical, hydraulic, and thermal properties.
- Analytical analyses in a soil physics laboratory, including basic soil physical analyses, mechanical, and chemical analyses, and measurement of basic hydrologic properties
- Data Quality Assurance & Quality Control
- Draft research progress reports for submission to granting agency
- Lead and contribute to the development of scientific manuscripts and presentations describing the results of your studies
Minimum Position Requirements (including certifications, licenses, etc.):
- Ph.D. in soil science, hydrology, or related fields in engineering (e.g. civil, geologic, or environmental engineering)
- Experience in the areas of soil science, soil physics, or soil mechanics
- Demonstrated experience in relevant soil science laboratory and field research methods
- Track record of primary contributions to peer-reviewed publications
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and excellent record keeping
- Self-motivated individual who can take direction, but does not require direction
- Able to work in a collaborative environment on team-based research
The salary for each position is based on the grade/tier in which the position is placed, and the salary within the grade/tier is based on the number of years of related experience or number of years in the hiring rank.
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
Alabama A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Alabama A&M University encourages applications for employment from persons who are members of groups that have been underrepresented based on race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability.
Please submit the following documents online
- Employment Application
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript (if applicable)
Already have an AAMU Employment Account? Login to add documents or update your account.