About Alabama A&M University :
Alabama A&M University (AAMU), an 1890 Land-Grant institution located in the high-tech center of Huntsville in northern Alabama, invites applications for the positions listed below. Situated in the northeast quadrant of the city of 200,000, the hillside campus is just four miles away from downtown Huntsville. AAMU offers its 6,100-student population a wide range of course offerings under the College of Agriculture, Life and Natural Sciences; College of Business and Public Affairs; College of Education, Humanities and Behavioral Sciences and College of Engineering, Technology and Physical Science. The School of Graduate Studies serves about 1,400 and offers doctoral degree programs in Applied Physics, Food Science, Plant/Soil Science and Reading/Literacy.
The Molecular Biology Laboratory in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences at Alabama A&M University is seeking a postdoctoral research associate with expertise in molecular biology, biochemistry, and biotechnology to support a currently funded project/s. The proposed research focuses on advancing the knowledge and understanding of soil metagenomics, metatranscriptomics, and utilization of plant-derived compounds (e.g., suberin) in strengthening earthen structures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specifically, we seek a scientist with knowledge or experience or interest in the following areas:
- Molecular biology and bioinformatics to undertake soil metagenomics and microbiome analysis
- Measure the effective utilization of plant-derived or bio-inspired compounds in strengthening earthen structures;
- Soil niche (e.g., soil metagenomes, metatranscriptomes, and nematode microbiomes); understanding proteomes, metabolomes, lipidomes, and associated molecular mechanisms and pathways;
- Must be willing to collect samples from field or greenhouse experiments; and
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements (including certifications, licenses, etc.):
- Ph.D. in plant science or food or related fields in agricultural and life sciences with strong molecular biology and applied research in the lab and the field research
- Experience in biotechnology or biochemistry and metagenomics or microbiomics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivated individual who can take direction but does not require direction
- Able to work in a collaborative environment on team-based research
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge in biotechnology, biochemistry, and omics areas are preferred
- Ability to independently design, set up, and conduct laboratory and field experiments utilizing experimental design and statistics
- Ability to produce oral/poster presentations and peer-reviewed manuscripts with limited supervision
- Strong quantitative and modeling skills
The salary for each position is based on the grade/tier in which the position is placed, and the salary within the grade/tier is based on the number of years of related experience or number of years in the hiring rank.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This position is 100% for 12 months initially and may be renewed based on funding and satisfactory annual progress. The position is eligible for the Alabama A&M University benefits package (PEEHIP, Guardian Dental, and Vision).
CLOSING DATE: February 26, 2021
Alabama A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Alabama A&M University encourages applications for employment from persons who are members of groups that have been underrepresented based on race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability.
Candidates should submit the following documents online:
- Employment Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Copies of official transcripts
- Names of three professional references with their email addresses and telephone numbers
Already have an AAMU Employment Account? Login to add documents or update your account.
If you would like to learn more about this exciting opportunity or have further questions, please contact the following:
Dr. Venkateswara R. Sripathi
Assistant Professor of Molecular Biology
Department of Biological & Environmental Sciences
Alabama A&M University