Inver Hills Community College seeks a UFT faculty member to join the faculty in our Sociology Department. Specifically, we seek an individual with demonstrated ability to teach undergraduate Sociology courses including among others, Introduction to Sociology, Social Inequalities, and Family & Society. We are especially interested in those who can contribute to the diversity of the college with demonstrated commitment to teaching in a wide variety of formats to a wide variety of students. Experience with program-level assessment and service to the department and college is desired. Faculty members at Inver Hills are professionally active scholars who participate in departmental, campus-wide, and external activities to enhance their disciplines, promote interdisciplinary discourse and collaboration, and advance the college mission. The college is committed to a collegial environment reflecting a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds among its administrators, faculty and staff. Please note this position will start at the beginning of the Fall 2021 semester (August 17, 2021).
Example of Duties:
- Participate in department and college curriculum development.
- Deliver classroom, blended/hybrid and/or online course instruction.
- Conduct classroom research and other assessment/evaluation activities.
- Mentor and advise students.
- Participate in college-wide initiatives. Participate in department accreditation and review.
- Engage in scholarly and other professional development activities.
Course assignments include day, evening, weekend and online hours.
- Master’s degree with a major in sociology or a Master’s degree with a minimum of 18 graduate semester credits (27 graduate quarter credits) in sociology.
- Higher education teaching experience with a diverse student population
- Experience teaching online
- Experience with learning communities or team teaching
- Experience in curriculum development
- Experience developing and using student-centered, active and experiential learning strategies
- Experience integrating cross-cultural and interdisciplinary perspectives in course instruction
- Experience assessing student academic achievement of campus-wide and classroom learning outcomes
- Experience with accelerated adult learning
Other Requirements About
Founded in 1970, Inver Hills is a comprehensive community college offering 40 program options and degrees including the Associate in Arts (A.A.), a liberal arts education degree that leads to transfer to four-year colleges; the Associate in Fine Art (A.F.A.) degree in studio arts; and the career-related Associate in Science (A.S.) and Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degrees in leading occupational areas such as nursing, paralegal, computer networking, law enforcement, human services, business, emergency medical services, teacher education, and more.
Located 10 minutes from downtown St. Paul, scenic Inver Hills Community College serves over 9000 credit students annually. Many Inver Hills students are first generation. The student of color population has increased from 28 to 33% in the last four years. 30 percent of students are low income and eligible for Pell grants. Inver Hills strives to reflect a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds among administrators, faculty and staff. Inver Hills is committed to quality improvement, Learning Communities, campus-wide assessment, innovative instruction, integrating technology in instruction, collaboration with Pre-K-12 for college readiness and access, and civic engagement.
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. For more information on insurance benefits, please visit https://mn.gov/mmb/segip/.
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions Summary
Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-450-3371
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Inver Hills Community College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and employer. A member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.