The Interior Design Program in the School of Design at South Dakota State University invites applications for an Instructor of Interior Design. This is a full-time, benefit-eligible, nine-month appointment. Instructor will teach courses which include various studio, lecture and seminar courses in the Interior Design program and School of Design. The position reports to the Director of the School of Design. The appointment date is August 2021.
The mission of the Interior Design Program is to prepare graduates for professional practice or advanced study in interior design through research informed, design thinking infused, and practice-based projects and opportunities.
We are searching for a colleague who values teamwork and collaboration, who can contribute at multiple levels of the curriculum, and who is passionate about excellence in design. We seek an individual who supports our overarching goal to provide a transformative teaching and learning environment where passion and creativity are fostered, and careers are shaped.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- TEACHING: Teach undergraduate level studio, lecture and seminar courses; mentor students; participate in innovative teaching and curriculum development; support ongoing CIDA and NASAD accreditation efforts. Examples of skilled areas sought include cross-disciplinary collaboration, design thinking, business practices and professionalism, design process, design communication, light and color, products and materials, environmental systems, construction, codes and regulations.
- SERVICE: Engage in community through professional service; participation in program, school and college governance.
- Candidates must be masters prepared, with one degree in Interior Design.
- Ability to contribute to and participate actively across the program.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Sponsorship is not available for this position; must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Progress toward or completion of relevant certification/licensure (NCIDQ) or additional advanced studies, such as a PhD, Doctorate of Design or additional master’s level study, in a design or design related field.
- Demonstrated use of leading technologies in managing and or delivering projects.
- Evidence of collaborative, supportive and cross-disciplinary professionalism.
- Experience in multiple market sectors.
- Record of service within the discipline.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
This system will guide you through the electronic application form. The employment site will also require the attachment of:
1) A Cover Letter which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement,
2) Curriculum Vitae
3) Statement of academic interest including a description of your professional experiences and expertise, and how those translate into teaching opportunities within in the professional program, (attached as ‘other’),
4) A reference page with the contact information for three professional or academic references who can speak thoroughly to the candidate’s qualities relative to the qualifications of this advertisement delivered with appropriate contact information (name, position, phone number, mailing and email address) and
5) A Portfolio (5MB max.) which includes 1) professional, academic and/or research materials and 2) work by students taught in an academic setting (if applicable). A document with an online link inserted directing to a similarly formatted PDF portfolio is an acceptable alternative. The document with the URL must be uploaded in place of the portfolio on the employment website.
Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment.
It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.
First Consideration Date
Commensurate with qualifications.
Duration of the Term
If Other, describe duration
Typical Hours Worked Per Week
Scope of Search
External (includes Internal)
If internal, define scope of search
Department Description and Cultural Expectations
Ranked as the No. 2 best place to work in South Dakota by Forbes, South Dakota State University is the state’s largest, most comprehensive university with more than 200 programs and an enrollment of approximately 12,000 students.
SDSU offers a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusion and access through inspired, student-centered education, creative activities and research, innovation and engagement that improve the quality of life in South Dakota, the region, the nation and the world. Its employees embrace the university’s core values of being people-centered, expanding knowledge through creativity, embracing organizational and personal integrity, commitment to diversity, and excellence through continuous improvement.
Interior Design at SDSU is nested within the School of Design collaborative structure, along with programs in architecture, landscape architecture, graphic design, and studio arts. Collectively, School faculty form a collaborative teaching and research environment that values cross-program and interdisciplinary initiatives.
The Interior Design program is CIDA accredited, consisting of 85-95 undergraduate Interior Design students, four full-time, and two adjunct faculty. The Interior Design program has an intimate faculty-to-student ratio that attracts strong, bright, and engaged students predominantly from the Midwest. Over the last ten years the program has built a positive reputation in its region for professionally-focused Interior Designers and our graduates are integral parts of successful practices across the nation.
As the state’s 1862 Morrill Act land-grant institution, the work of the university is carried out on its main resident campus in Brookings, at sites in Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City, and Aberdeen, and through Extension offices and Agricultural Experiment Station research sites across South Dakota.
SDSU was recognized as one of 54 institutions in the United States as an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities in 2014. The university’s total research expenditures are greater than $60 million. SDSU is the state’s first High Research Activity institution as classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Jackrabbits Athletics competes as an NCAA Division I member with membership in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, the Summit League and the Big XII for wrestling.
Brookings is home to approximately 24,000 residents and is located 60 miles north of Sioux Falls and 200 miles west of Minneapolis. Livability.com rates Brookings as an ideal community for families, students, young professionals and retirees. It considers Brookings among the safest and most vibrant cities in South Dakota.
The Brookings Public School District educates approximately 3,300 K-12 students and ranks among the state’s highest academic achieving school districts. The district includes three elementary schools, an intermediate school for fourth and fifth grade, one middle school and a high school.
The city also boasts an abundance of attractions and activities, including the Children’s Museum of South Dakota, Dakota Nature Park, South Dakota Art Museum, McCrory Gardens, South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, Outdoor Adventure Center and the Brookings Summer Arts Festival.
Affirmative Action Statement
South Dakota State University is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its faculty, staff and students. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by emailing HR@sdstate.edu. SDSU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other protected class in the offering of all educational programs and employment opportunities. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Morrill Hall 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Phone: (605) 688-4128.
We are committed to diversity of community and ideas. We believe in a supportive, diverse, collaborative, and cohesive environment with a focus on access. We actively seek collaboration with individuals with differing perspectives, backgrounds, and areas of expertise.
For inquiries regarding the Interior Design Program or the advertised faculty position, contact Angela McKillip, Search Committee Chair: at (605) 688-5551 or firstname.lastname@example.org.