Back to search results Apply now Job no:744290Position Summary
Work type:Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Natural Science
Department: Computational Math Sci And Engr Cns 40000838
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories:Research/Scientific, Tenure System Faculty, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
A significant area of research focus within CMSE is on the synergy between forward modeling and data science in physical and biological sciences. Meeting the position's research expectations will require obtaining external funding and publishing peer-reviewed papers in national and international journals and/or conference proceedings. In addition to developing an internationally recognized, externally funded research program, the successful candidate will be expected to contribute high-quality teaching and service/outreach, and have a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Teaching will include one undergraduate or graduate course per semester as well as graduate and postdoctoral training. Service will include participation in campus and national/international programs. Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.Required Degree
Doctorate -Mathematics, Statistics ,Computer ScienceMinimum Requirements
A PhD is required prior to the start of employment. Research in the mathematical foundation of data science.Desired Qualifications
Post-doctoral experience is preferred but not required. Prior instructional experience as a lecturer and/or teaching assistant is desirable but not required.
All areas of mathematical data science will be considered. Special consideration will be given to candidates with a background in the geometry and topology of big data and its application to real-world domains including but not limited to neuroscience, molecular biology, atmospheric science, image processing, etc. Required Application Materials
- Cover letter: One page that frames the application in the context of this ad and CMSE at Michigan State University
- CV: Including a list of publications, accepted proposals for funding or other resources, contributed or invited presentations, teaching and mentoring experiences, leadership positions, contributions to the academic community, and public outreach efforts. Other professional information may also be included, as the applicant sees fit.
- Research statement: A 4-5-page summary of research focus including the relevance of the research, research accomplishments, and future research plans. This statement should also describe past experiences with and future plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in research (e.g., through grant-funded research, publications, etc.).
- Teaching statement: A 1-2 page description of teaching and mentoring philosophy, experiences, goals, and plans to address these goals. This statement should also describe past experiences with and future plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in teaching and mentoring (e.g., through mentoring, pedagogy, etc.).
- Referee information: The names and email contact information for four individuals who can provide reference letters. References will be contacted to solicit letters for candidates selected for a short list. At least one of the letters must specifically address the applicant’s ability to teach.
- Reference Letters: applicant will be required to submit 4 letters of reference
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at:
Review of applications will begin January 4, 2022, and continue until a suitable candidate is identified. While letters will not be solicited for the initial evaluation of candidates, applicants should ensure that letters will be submitted promptly upon request. Questions regarding the position may be directed to Dr. Shin-Han Shiu (email@example.com ), Chair of the Search Committee.Website
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised:Nov 29, 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close:Nov 29, 2023 Eastern Standard Time