Requisition Id 7267
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Digital Manufacturing and Analyses Frameworks Group in the Manufacturing Science Division (MSD), Energy Science and Technology (ESTD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) who will focus on simulation and design of fiber reinforced polymer structures and manufacturing processes.
The candidate will (1) develop a design framework for polymer composites through macro-scale simulations, (2) propose proper manufacturing processes, (3) perform simulations for polymer flow and final part performance of polymer composites, (4) characterize material properties via various types of testing equipment and calibrate the simulation parameters, (5) manufacture composite parts via various polymer composite manufacturing processes, and (6) test manufactured parts and verify the simulation results.
Our research division carries out high quality R&D focused on the strategic composite material needs of the aerospace, automotive, and marine/shipbuilding industries as well as trending areas of international composite research in material science, mechanical and chemical engineering, and automation. The successful candidate will conduct research in the area of polymer composite manufacturing, specifically on the design optimization for the advancement of current manufacturing technologies, the development of the design framework, and the implementation of new optimization technologies.
- Interface with other researchers and technical staff in the simulation, production, and characterization of the materials
- Publish original peer reviewed research articles
- Write invention disclosures and reports
- Supervise students/interns
- Develop a design optimization framework with the aids of computation
- Perform process optimizations through simulations accounting for polymer flow and fiber interactions from various composite manufacturing techniques
- Perform design optimizations through simulations accounting for fiber distribution/alignment in polymers through various composite manufacturing techniques
- Advance constitutive models and simulation tools used for composite analysis
- Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Polymer Science and Engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Expertise in computational solid mechanics
- Experience in polymer composite manufacturing
- Fluency in programming languages such as Fortran, C++, Python
- Experience in commercial finite element analysis tools such as Abaqus, ANSYS, and Autodesk
- Experience in structural design optimization including topology optimization
- Experience in polymer processing such as extruder, injection molding, compression molding
- Experience in thermomechanical property characterization of polymers
- An excellent record of productive and creative research as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.