Are you interested in making significant contributions to vaccines R&D through the integration and analysis of complex, high dimensional data sets? Do you want to impact global health by applying your expertise to the development of the next generation of vaccines? If so, GSK’s Data Sciences and Computational Vaccinology team in Rockville, Maryland is looking for an Expert scientist Computational Biology and this role could be ideal for you.
As an Expert scientist Computational Biology, you will be responsible for the analysis and integration of systems vaccinology data from clinical and preclinical studies to elucidate the mechanism of action of our vaccine platforms, such as, RNA vaccines. The results will be used to drive discussions on platform improvements, vaccine efficacy, and safety. You will ensure that data analytics and bioinformatics deliverables for Vaccines R&D projects are the top of industry standards with respect to scientific excellence, quality, and timelines.
These Responsibilities Include Some Of The Following
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career.
- Represent Data Sciences and Computational Vaccinology (DSCV) as subject matter expert in cross-functional project teams
- Provide input to the team scientific strategy, processes, and objectives in alignment with the GSK Vaccines R&D strategy
- Identify and lead initiatives to innovate, foster collaboration, promote the data driven organization, and improve processes.
- Communicate activities, results, and principles to internal stakeholders and scientific community, translating complex solutions into simple, understandable and effective messages
- Initiate and lead scientific collaborations with external partners
- Bioinformatics/data analytics activities for Vaccines R&D; data and knowledge integration for hypothesis generation; data modeling for innovative immunological assays; high-dimensional readouts; and human and microbial genomics
- Development of tailored systems and analytical models for explorative analytics of pre-clinical, clinical, and epidemiological data; development of analysis pipelines using combinations of heterogeneous, high dimensional datasets and tools
- Advise on study design, readout selection and data formats, data analysis strategies
- Preparation and publication of scientific papers and congress reports
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD or equivalent work experience in Bioinformatics, Systems Immunology, Computational Biology, Engineering, Data and Computer Science, Statistics, or a similar domain
- 3+ years of work experience as postdoctoral researcher or equivalent
- Experience in programming (R and Python), data analytics, and modeling skills
- Proficiency / publication record in one or more of the following areas:
- Bioinformatics and genomics (including single cell genomics) applied to immunological questions and/or vaccinology
- Systems immunology, vaccinology and immuno-genomics
- Data mining and machine learning, multivariate biomarkers discovery and validation
- Data modeling for individual and integrated analysis of innovative immune assays (e.g., high dimensional flow cytometry, systems serology), high-dimensional readouts
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Good understanding of biological and immunological processes related to vaccination and infectious diseases
- Good leadership skills in a scientifically oriented environment, i.e., proposing and driving research projects and taking accountability for outcomes
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- Good communication skills, ability to simplify complex problems and communicate complex solutions in a simple and effective manner
- Good networking skills and fluent interactions with one or more scientific communities
- Ability to influence performance in a matrix organization through negotiation and communication
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we’re making the biggest changes we’ve made to our business in over 20 years. We’re on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022: New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of disease together – all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients – so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact – with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing. So, if you’re ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.