Classroom/Event Support Technician
Department: Media Technologies
Job ID: 1310
Work Hours/Schedule: 40 hours/ 52 weeks
Compensation: Meet and Confer – Grade Level 11, $18.66 per hour
Reports to: Director of Media Technologies
Posting Close Date: April 4, 2022
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is
designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the
specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are
available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
● Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
● A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
● Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
● Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
● Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
● Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
● Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
Support classroom multimedia, HyFlex, and audio-visual technologies, media events, event technical operations
(microphone/sound systems, projection systems, etc) and assist with large Production/Engineering projects.
Customer Service Expectations:
I.T. Media Technologies is dedicated to providing exceptional customer service to faculty, staff and students. It is the
responsibility of each team member to demonstrate this in every aspect of work and interaction with College
constituents. Each team member will promote and continually improve the services we provide in accordance with the
RAIDER values. The delivery of customer service will be a primary factor in the evaluation of work performance.
I.T. Media Technologies team members are responsible to the College and to each other for the successful completion of
the work of the Division. In addition to the essential duties and responsibilities of each position, every team member is
accountable to demonstrate outstanding communication skills, effective collaboration, personal initiative to overcome
obstacles, and the ability to work efficiently to meet deadlines. In an environment where innovation is valued, each
team member will take the responsibility to perform their work and deliver service in a manner consistent with both the
letter and the spirit of the RAIDER values.
Essential Job Functions
● Coordinates, schedule and distribute portable audio-visual equipment for classroom use.
● Assist with managing equipment checkout in the Media Technologies Office.
● Performs minor repairs and upgrades including installation of software and multimedia system installation.
● Maintain database of Audio Visual usage, repairs and distribution.
● Perform scheduled system maintenance.
● Assist with system repairs and installation of new systems.
● Respond to classroom helpdesk service tickets and emergency support requests.
● Provide technical support for media events as assigned by the Manager of Media Technologies.
● Assist with the training of staff/faculty in the usage of installed systems and the operation of software applications as required.
● Attends meetings and training courses as needed to remain current with changing technologies.
● Assist with large scale television productions and events as needed.
● Maintain equipment stock inventory.
● Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
● Assist with other duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree or equivalent experience in Electronics Technology, Media Systems, Installation and Maintenance is preferred.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred.
- Must have a minimum of two years of successful work experience in a media technical support role with strong emphasis on electronics, system integration and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of campus classroom multimedia and sound equipment including large venue (Ford Fieldhouse sound/lighting, ATC and Science Building Auditorium sound, lighting and video systems.
- Knowledge of Extron components preferred.
- The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based
• Information Skills
• Interacting With Computers
• Getting Information
• Making Decisions and Solving Problems
• Processing Information
• Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
• Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
• Analyzing Data or Information
• Thinking Creatively
• Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
• Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
• Interpreting the Meaning of Information for Others
• Documenting/Recording Information
• Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
• Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards
• Provide Consultation and Advice to Others
● Possesses up-to-date professional technical skills which include the use of Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Resource 25, GroupWise and other systems.
● Good organizational skills.
● Provide friendly and helpful customer service as outlined by the Media Technologies team.
● Effective communication and collaboration skills, and ability to work with diverse individuals and groups.
● Exhibit professional behavior and judgment when handling sensitive information, assuring confidentiality.
● Ability to use good judgment to resolve problems in a timely manner by collecting, analyzing, collaborating, and utilizing data for decisions while being responsive to change as needed.
● Ability to lift 50 lbs or more.
● Ability to climb ladders.
● Must be comfortable with supporting live events.
● Ability to maintain focus for long periods of time.
- Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Employees will be directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.
- Ability to perform duties listed at late hours and on weekends occasionally
- Working in classrooms, auditoriums, pulling cables in attics, construction environments, etc.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on April 4, 2022 at 11:59PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law.
GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295