Tutorial Coordinator-Health Sciences Resource and Tutorial Center, Tenure Track
Date: March 24, 2022
Department: Academic Support & Tutoring Services
Job ID: 1303
Work Hours/Schedule: 40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Compensation: $57,641 (Bachelor’s/ Master’s Degree), $62,941 (Terminal Degree)
Reflects Fall 2021 negotiated salary.
Reports to: Associate Dean, Student Success & Retention
Posting Close Date: April 15, 2022
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is
designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the
specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are
available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
● Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
● A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
● Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
● Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
● Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
● Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
● Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
GRCC is seeking faculty who possess an interest in working with diverse student populations from a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability; engage in and develop innovative tutoring strategies; effectively assess Department outcomes; demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development and provide service to our students, the college, and our community at large.
Faculty members are responsible to GRCC and to each other for the successful completion of departmental work, as well as associated with the School of Student Success & Retention and GRCC as a whole. In addition to the major position responsibilities, it is expected that faculty demonstrate outstanding communication skills, collaborate effectively, use personal initiative to overcome obstacles and work efficiently to meet deadlines. In an environment where innovation is valued, each faculty member will take responsibility to perform their work in a manner consistent with both the letter and the spirit of GRCC values.
Essential Job Functions
● Supervise and coordinate all tutoring in the assigned Tutorial areas, the Health Sciences Resource and Tutorial Center
● Tutor students both individually and in groups in Allied Health subject areas
● Recruit, select, hire, train, supervise, evaluate and serve as mentor to professional and student tutors for individual areas
● Stay current with curriculum of GRCC Allied Health Programs
● Participate in the development and delivery of tutor training for all GRCC tutors
● Stay current with best practices and research in learning theories and practices
● Develop content-specific review materials for supported Departments
● Work collaboratively with the Academic Support team to ensure continuous improvement of service and support college wide student success initiatives
● Build and maintain safe, encouraging, positive, and welcoming environment for students
● Promote and develop students’ academic success by working effectively with diverse populations and encouraging independent learning
● Conduct program assessments and evaluations
Marginal Job Functions
● Maintain and update online learning platforms.
● Develop and maintain close working relationship with supported academic departments’ faculty and staff regarding course materials, procedures and content
● Develop and maintain working relationships with other student-supporting Departments to ensure broad, crosscampus support for student success.
● Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to assist students and staff in a professional manner
● Coordinate, manage and ensure the security of all Tutorial Lab resources and equipment
● Establish and enforce lab policies for specified tutorial and Computer Lab areas
● Disseminate information and give presentations about lab services to students, faculty and staff.
● Communicate with instructors and staff regarding individual needs of students
● Attend Academic Support staff meetings as well as department meetings of supported areas as requested by supervisor, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
● Understanding and working knowledge of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, required.
● Bachelor’s Degree required in Nursing or Allied Health program (Dental, Occupational Therapy, Radiology Technology), Master’s Preferred
● Certification or Licensure in field of study may be required
● Two years of clinical experience in the professional field of study required
● Two years experience teaching/tutoring in Nursing and/or Allied Health preferred
● Experience working with computer software systems and electronic health records
● Ability to utilize and manage virtual meeting software
● Experience and ability to use student/patient/client database software
● Ability to lift (up to 20 pounds), bend, twist, ambulate around campus and sit for long periods.
● May travel to off campus sites.
● Ability to stand or sit for a period of time while observing and assisting with clinical skills learning
● Demonstrated content knowledge of courses/department curriculum to be supported
● Ability to effectively participate in a collaborative decision-making process
● Possession of leadership qualities, including the ability to work under pressure while maintaining mature judgment and flexibility
● Ability to learn and maintain up-to-date skills in computer technology
● Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities
● Demonstrated ability to work with students from diverse educational and demographic backgrounds
● Ability to manage labs with minimal supervision
● Ability to adapt to demanding work environment and flexible work schedule
● Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with faculty, staff and students
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs.
For full consideration, submit a cover letter, resume/ CV. unofficial transcripts, and three letters of recommendation
in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on April 15, 2022 at 11:59PM. Individuals with
diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa
sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and
dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities
regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all
programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or
compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC
programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and
eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will
not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an
investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick
Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295