Apply now Job no:519792
Work type:Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Engineering
Department: Civil & Environmental Engineering
Categories:Engineering, Research / Scientific
The postdoctoral associate will be responsible for planning and executing experiments on the emerging topic of opportunistic premise plumbing pathogens (OPPPs). The specific responsibilities are as follows:
1) Execute research projects related to culturing and molecular methods of detection, disinfection of building plumbing systems, hydraulics of plumbing as it affects biofilm and OPPPs growth, microbial ecology and antibiotic resistance. The precise experiments to be done are flexible and will evolve with time and interest and results
2) Collaborate with and assist other researchers working on similar projects. Attending meetings.
3) Assist with development, implementation and execution of biosafety II level lab safety protocols. Assist with proposal preparation.
- PhD in Environmental Engineering (or related fields). PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Demonstrated interest in conducting interdisciplinary research with a diverse team of undergraduates, graduates, faculty and other post-docs.
- Proven track record in writing peer reviewed research on opportunistic pathogens.
- Good interpersonal skills and a desire to mentor students.
The position is for a minimum of 18 months assuming satisfactory performance. The position is open to candidates with a PhD awarded no longer than 4 years prior to the start date.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Marc Edwards at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.