About Westfield State University:
Westfield State University is an education leader committed to providing students with a learning experience built on its founding principle as the first public co-educational college in America to offer an education without barrier to race, gender or economic status. A public teaching institution offering quality programs in the liberal arts and sciences with complementing professional studies curricula, we are grounded in our founding principles of academic excellence and educating all in a diverse and welcoming community.
For the first time, Westfield State University is the only Massachusetts state university to be named as one of the top 50 "Best Colleges for Veterans" as reported in the latest US News & World Report 2015 "Best Colleges" edition. Westfield State continues its trend to lead the Massachusetts state university system in the annual overall rankings for Regional Universities-North, officially ranked 115, up from 123 last year. Westfield State is the only Massachusetts school public or private in the top 50 in U.S. News & World Report's 2014 "Best Online Education Programs" rankings. Westfield State offers six online bachelor's degree completion programs in business management, criminal justice, history, liberal studies, psychology, and sociology.
APPLY TO THIS APPLICANT POOL IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A MAINTAINER I (CUSTODIAL) POSITION.
APPLICANTS WILL BE CHOSEN FROM THIS POOL WHEN A POSITION BECOMES AVAILABLE. SHIFTS WILL DEPEND ON AVAILABLE JOB OPENINGS.
Position Title: Maintainer I
Title Code: H09X08
Appropriation or Agency Job Code: 7115-6001
Minimum Salary: $1,148.26 (bi-weekly)
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Job Category: Classified
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs specific cleaning tasks in all campus buildings, including dusting rooms and objects within rooms; washing walls, windows, floors, soiled equipment and objects; cleaning and stocking bathrooms; stripping and refinishing hard surface floors; deep cleaning soft floors/furniture; insuring proper use of cleaning chemicals and equipment; moving furniture/appliances; making general repairs of a simple nature to buildings and equipment; removing snow and performing grounds-keeping tasks.
Receives direct supervision from a Maintainer III and/or an Institution Maintenance Foreman, Staff Associate or Staff Assistant of Environmental Services.
Maintainers stand and walk for prolonged periods of time; lift and carry heavy objects; work outdoors in all types of weather; work varied shifts, weekends, holidays or nights; are exposed to the hazard of wet, slippery floors; work under exposure to the hazards to chemicals, toxic and noxious fumes, dust, excessive heat, high noise levels, high volume traffic conditions and high voltage wires; work from ladders and scaffolds; and may be required to climb trees and operate motor vehicles.
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Routinely cleans campus property, such as offices, restrooms, bathrooms, corridors, public spaces, gymnasium and other athletic facilities, classrooms and laboratories, student apartments and rooms, auditoriums, store rooms, stairwells, elevators, etc.
- Cleans above areas and contents in a systematic and consistent manner as prescribed by departmental procedures and within the standards prescribed.
- Cleans sidewalks, collects and hauls debris from around buildings.
- Shovels snow from sidewalks, ramps, entry areas, roofs, etc.
- Makes general repairs of a simple nature, including minor repairs to college buildings.
- Prepares work orders for repairs and to correct deficiencies.
- Assists in maintaining the security of buildings by locking and unlocking areas; reports unusual or suspicious situations to public safety.
- Changes light bulbs and fluorescent tubes, ceiling tiles, window treatments, screens and performs other light maintenance.
- Uses and maintains Environmental Services equipment to assure good condition; makes basic repairs as needed.
- Reports to supervisors regarding activities completed, supplies needed, and pending issues.
- Provides on-campus moving services of college-owned furniture and equipment.
- May exercise functional supervision over part-time, temporary, or summer employees.
- May transport and erect temporary signage.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to stand, walk, squat, kneel for prolonged periods of time.
- Manual dexterity (ability to perform repetitive tasks requiring continuous use of hands and arms).
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to locate weaknesses in cleanliness, such as dirt and stains, in assigned area; ability to take corrective action.
- Ability to climb and work on elevated platforms, including ladders.
- Ability to work with harsh cleaning chemicals.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge and understanding of departmental, university, and state rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines relating to area of assignment and ability to apply them to unit activities.
- Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment assigned to the department. Knowledge of the proper chemicals to use for each type of cleaning task.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of safety procedures prescribed by the institution and department used in building maintenance and custodial work.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
A current and valid driver's license.
Please note - salary: For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for the position may be found at the Department of Higher Education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp
Westfield State University understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the human resources office at (413) 572-8809.
An online application is required. A resume and cover letter may be attached to the application but these documents are not required.
Contact the online Help Desk if you need assistance applying through this website. The link can be found at the top of the application page.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.